- Submission deadline for International Postgraduate Scholarships 14 Aug 2009.
- IT Project Officer (Python developer, MWA) at the International Centre for Radio
Astronomy Research (ICRAR); deadline 23 June
- Federal government funds $80M Australian National Centre of SKA science in Perth, 12 May 2009.
- Australian Academy of
Science and ICRAR open SKA education web site,
Nova: Science in the
- Professional job
opportunities at the International Centre for Radio
Astronomy Research (ICRAR); deadline 5 May
- Ministers cement Australia-South Africa SKA partnership: 26 Feb 2009.
- UWA Research Fellowships available: deadline 17 April 2009.
government announces a $20M International Radio Astronomy Research
Centre, a joint venture between UWA and Curtin, to be hosted by UWA (15
December 2008). More details...
- UWA Astronomy and Astrophysics Honours student, Jacinta Delhaize, wins the 2008 Western Australian Science Student of the Year (University) prize for her work, including astronomy teaching and outreach.
- UWA Astronomy and Astrophysics Honours student, Marc White, wins 2008/2009 iVEC internship to work on visualization of large astronomical datasets.
- Postdoctoral positions available in
transient astronomy, galaxy evolution, galaxy simulation and
high performance computing as part of the Radio Astronomy
Science and Engineering Centre of Excellence: deadline
12 December 2008.
- CSIRO Ph.D top-up
scholarships: deadline 30 November
- SKA Graduate top-up
scholarships ($6000 pa) available to new Ph.D students for
projects relating to the SKA and pathfinders: deadline
31 October 2008
- Submission Deadline: Australian
Graduate Research Scholarships, 31 October
- G08 European Fellowships Scheme: an
opportunity for European Researchers: deadline 31
- Australia-Oxford PhD
scholarships immediately available for PhD projects based
in Oxford or based in Perth: deadline 30 Oct
- Submission Deadline: China and India Scholarships, 17 October 2008
- Summer Vacation scholarships available to undergraduate students for projects in astronomy supervised by staff members: deadline 30 Sept 2008
- Submission Deadline: International Postgraduate Research Scholarships (IPRS), 15 August 2008
- Job Opportunity: iVEC eResearch Program Manager, deadline 13 June 2008
- Media Release from Premier Alan Carpenter: Australia committed to success of revolutionary telescope, 9 April 2008
- Late Registration Deadline: Deep Surveys of the Radio Universe with SKA Pathfinders, UWA, Perth, 7 March 2008
- Media Release from Premier Alan Carpenter: $20M
allocated to an International Radio Astronomy Research Centre in
Western Australia and $2.3M allocated to a Radio Astronomy and
Engineering Centre of Excellence, 29 February 2008
- Submission Deadline: China Scholarships
(International Research Fee Scholarships for China) for research in fields including Astronomy &
Astrophysics at UWA, 15 January 2008
- Submission Deadline: Graduate Research Scholarships
(Australian Postgraduate Awards, University Postgraduate Awards and
prestigious University scholarships) for research in fields including Astronomy &
Astrophysics at UWA, 31 October 2007
- Submission Deadline: International Postgraduate Research Scholarships (IPRS) and International Research Fees Scholarship for China (IRFSC), 15 August 2007
- On 8 May, the Federal Government announced a $56.6 million allocation in the 2008 Budget for the Australian SKA Pathfinder
(ASKAP). These new funds will be allocated to CSIRO and earmarked for
the development of ASKAP, some WA infrastructure, facilities in NSW, EU
FP7 participation by DEST and activities of the Joint State-Federal SKA
Taskforce (JSKAT). The total allocation of Federal funds to the
Australian SKA effort now totals over $100m. The new funding was announced by the Hon Julie Bishop, federal minister for Education, Science and Training.
- IYA Public Lecture: 'A Universe made for me? The anthropic principle in Astronomy' Prof Geraint Lewis, 6PM, 29 September 2009.
- Masterclass: Galactic Bulge, Prof Ken Freeman (ANU), 10AM, 10 September 2009 (register by 3 Sept).
- IYA Public Lecture: 'The Astronomy of Aboriginal Australians' Prof Ray Norris (CSIRO-ATNF), 6PM, 9 September 2009.
- Public Lecture: Globular Clusters, Prof Ken Freeman (ANU), 6PM, 8 September 2009.
- 2009 Clay-Mahler colloquium: 'Compressed Sensing' Prof Terence Tao (UCLA), 1PM, 4 September 2009.
- 2009 Clay-Mahler Public Lecture: 'Cosmic Distance Ladder' Prof Terence Tao (UCLA), 6PM, 3 September 2009.
- IYA Public Lecture: 'Is There More Than One Universe?' Dr Charley Lineweaver (ANU), 6PM, 19 August 2009.
- IYA Public Lecture: Black Holes and Galaxies, Prof Reinhard Genzel (Max Planck Institute, Garching), 6PM, 23 July 2009.
- Year 11-12 Schools event: A Day in the Life of an Astronomer, 14 July 2009.
- Physics Seminar: Star Formation Scaling Relations in HI Selected Galaxies, Gerhardt Meurer (JHU), 3:30PM, 30 June 2009.
- Physics and SKA postgraduate expo; 2PM, 14 May 2009.
- SKA schools exhibition
Out There!; 4 to 15 May 2009.
- Physics Seminar: 'Rotation Measure Synthesis of Nearby Galaxy Disks' Robert Braun (ATNF), 3:30PM, 12
- Physics Seminar: 'Structure
Formation and Galaxy Evolution in Group and Cluster
Environments' Tobias Westmeier (ATNF), 3:30PM, 21
Physics Seminar: 'The Atacama Large Millimeter/submillimeter Array: Project Overview and Science Prospects', Martin Zwaan (European Southern Observatory), 3:30PM, 7 April 2009.
Physics Seminar: 'Galaxy and Mass Assembly', Simon Driver (St.Andrews), 3:30PM, 17 March 2009.
Physics Seminar: 'Sub-AU imaging of turbulent structures in the Interstellar Medium', J-P Macquart (Curtin), 3:30PM, 10 March 2009.
- Physics Seminar: 'Accounting for stellar and baryonic mass in the galaxy population: Checks and balances', Ivan Baldry (Liverpool JMU), 3:45PM,
10 Feb 2009.
- AAO Roadshow: 'Progress and Opportunities at the Anglo-Australian Observatory', Andrew Hopkins (AAO), 3:15PM, 4 Feb 2009.
- Physics Seminar: 'How to be a
Radio Astronomer', Lister Staveley-Smith, 3:30PM,
11 Nov 2008.
- MWA planning meeting, Geraldton, Nov 10 to 13,
- Physics Seminar: 'A Long Overdue
Synthesis Image of Centaurus A', Ilana
Feain, 3:30PM, 4 Nov 2008.
- ASKAP User Policy forum, Ilana Feain, 5th floor tea room,
2:00-3:15PM, 4 Nov 2008.
- Special seminar: "Studies of Methanol Masers with ATNF
Facilities', Max Voronkov, seminar room #2.15, 2:00PM,
31 October 2008.
- UWA/Curtin monthly SKA discussion meeting. Curtin,
30 Oct 2008, 10am.
- Special seminar: 'GMRT - Status and Plans', Rajaram Nityananda, 5th floor tea room, 3:30PM, 13 October 2008.
- Physics Seminar: 'Cosmological Distance Indicators: Past, Present and Future', Martin Hendry, 7 Oct 2008.
- Physics Seminar: 'A Multiwavelength Study of Luminous Compact Blue Galaxies over 8 Billion Years', D.J. Pisano, 23 Sept 2008.
- Interdisciplinary masterclass: Star Clusters: a key to
understanding how our galaxy was formed, Professor Ken
Freeman, 11 Aug 2008 (register by 4
- Physics Seminar: 'Galactic Disks', Ken Freeman, 12 Aug 2008.
- Public lecture: Professor Ken Freeman, 'Dark Matter in
Galaxies', 14 August 2008.
- Public lecture: Professor John Dickey, 'What can VLBI do for you? Radio Astronomy in the Public Interest', 7 July 2008.
- Meeting: Astronomical Society of
Australia, Annual Scientific Meeting, UWA, Perth, 7 - 10 July 2008
- Meeting: Harley Wood Winter School for Honours and Postgraduate Astronomy Students, Fremantle, 3 - 6 July 2008
- Physics Seminar: Some new advances in VLBI: polarisation of Methanol and astrometry of SiO masers Richard Dodson (UWA) 1 May 2008
- Meeting: Deep Surveys of the Radio
Universe with SKA Pathfinders
UWA, Perth, 31 March - 4 April 2008
- SKA schools exhibition: Out there! UWA, Perth, 10 - 20 March 2008
- Meeting: SKA Science Forum Curtin, 6 February 2008
- Ian Constable Lecture: First Light - An overview of modern astronomy and our quest to find the dawn of creation Prof Peter Quinn (UWA) 10 September 2007
- Meeting: SKA Science Forum UWA, 11 September 2007
- The Modern Radio
Universe: 1-5 October 2007, Jodrell Bank, UK
- Physics Seminar: The Dark Side of the Universe Prof Joe Silk (Oxford) 13 August 2007
- Physics Seminar: The Cold Gaseous halos of Spiral Galaxies Dr Tom Oosterloo (ASTRON) 7 August 2007
Physics Seminar: "Aspects of the Tension between General Relativity and
Quantum Mechanics: Black Holes, Cosmology, and the Measurement Paradox"
Sir Roger Penrose (Oxford) 4pm Ross Theatre 7 August 2007
- Public Talk: What Happened before the Big Bang? Sir Roger Penrose (Oxford) 7 August 2007
- Physics Seminar: Galaxy Formation at High Redshifts Dr Chris Power (Swinburne) 26 April 2007
- Physics Seminar: Hunting dark energy from the optical to the radio 12 April 2007 Dr Chris Blake (Swinburne)
- Physics Seminar: The Stellar Initial Mass Function Dr Pavel Kroupa (Bonn) 22 February 2007
- Physics Seminar: Recurrent Activity in Radio Galaxies Dr Lakshmi Saripalli (Bangalore) 15 February 2007